Christmas Backpacks for Appalachia
South Carolina Baptists are challenged to provide backpacks for distribution at evangelistic events in Appalachia between Thanksgiving and Christmas. South Carolina WMU is partnering with Appalachian Regional Ministries to provide Christmas backpacks for children and youth in Appalachia.
Our goal is to collect 5,000 backpacks to be distributed to children and youth (primarily in Ohio) in areas of need in December of 2017. The statewide collection will take place on Tuesday afternoon of the 2017 South Carolina Baptist Convention meeting, November 7 at Shandon Baptist Church in Columbia.
*Internet Explorer is not playing well with a few of our two page documents; if a document will not print, try a new browser, download to your computer and print, or contact us!*
- Read flyer to understand more about this ministry.
- Print the Leader Instructions and Gift Suggestions to use as a shopping list as you prepare each backpack. Use this sheet to help you decide on how many backpacks your church/group would like to prepare.
- Share with and challenge your church/group to participate in this ministry by printing and distributing the bulletin insert. Be sure to include the goal your church has set for the number of backpacks you wish to donate.
- Go shopping for the items included on the Leader Instructions and Gift Suggestions sheet, keeping in mind the different age groups (3-5, 6-9, or 10-14) and whether you are packing for a boy or a girl. Include items from each category in your backpack. Please prepare each backpack as you would for your own child or grandchild, with new items, not used ones.
- Register your church/group and let us know how many backpacks of each gender/age you will be donating to Christmas Backpacks for Appalachia. Either mail in the printable registration form above, or complete the online registration form below. The registration deadline is October 24th.
- Gather items to pack your backpacks. We ask that you enclose a copy of The Christmas Story in each bag as well as an enrollment card for the Appalachian Regional Ministry Mailbox Bible Club. The Mailbox Club is an ongoing correspondence discipleship program that has been very effective throughout Appalachia (these documents will be sent to you once you have registered your church below). Packing hint: The Bible, Christmas Story flyer, and Mailbox card seem to fit best in the front pocket of the backpack.
- Label backpacks properly for easy distribution (print the Backpack Labels). Each backpack should be labeled with ‘boy’ or ‘girl’ and the appropriate age. Age group labels should be 3-5, 6-9 or 10-14. Labels should be on cardstock or index card and attached to the backpack in a secure manner. We suggest punching a hole in the card and using ribbon or twine to tie the tag on. Please do not try to use masking tape for this, as it will likely come off during transport.
- Deliver backpacks to Shandon Baptist Church in Columbia on November 7, 2017 at the SCBC Annual Meeting.
If you have any questions regarding the Christmas Backpacks for Appalachia, contact us at 803.227.6205 or email@example.com.